welcome to Methodology

The blog of AgentMethods.com, covering insurance agent websites, web design, and insurance marketing

Video 61: Meeting the Needs of Different Types of Visitors to Your Insurance Site

April 25th, 2011Posted by akassover in Insurance Agent Websites, Traffic, Videos

Transcript:

Hello, it’s Aaron from AgentMethods talking about insurance websites and I want to talk today just about a big problem I’m seeing that a lot of agents are making, a big mistake with many sites, and some ways to address it.  And this mistake is trying to meet the needs of too many audiences, too many different types of people to your site.

Now, if you think about who’s coming to your site, you’ve got prospects, consumers, and also maybe current policyholders.  You might have small businesses, you might have groups, seniors, you might be recruiting other agencies or other agents, maybe different products like PNC versus health/life, and when you think about all of this, you end up having a lot of different messages that you’re trying to communicate usually on your home page.  And I go to some agent’s homepages and I see that they have information about recruiting and they’ve got information about customer support and they’ve got information about seniors and business, and all of this stuff is on their home page.  And the reality is that you can’t have an effective homepage that address all of your audiences at once; you just can’t do it.  And if you try, what’s going to happen is your visitor is going to come to your site and they’re going to get confused, they’re going to go to the wrong place, or they’re going to look at your site and say, “They’re not focusing on me,” even though you are, it’s just not position properly.

So my recommendation is to make sure that your site has a primary visitor; that you have a primary audience that you’re focusing on on your homepage.  Pick one and get it right.  Nail one, and use the 80/20 rule, think about what visitors represent 80% of your website traffic, and don’t let the other 20% screw things up for the 80%, so get that 80% right; pick one.  Make it dominant in your headlines, in your content and in your call-outs.  And then, if you want to as a secondary point, beneath that, you can add links to other pages or other sites that address other audiences, so secondary take traffic to recruiting, to maybe your group site or your business site.

Now, this is something that carriers do really well.  If you go look at carrier websites, you’re going to see that they have to deal with customers and prospects, they have agents, they might have medical billing, claims processing, they’ve got press, they’ve got investor relations, and so.  They address larger audiences, and they do this really well because they don’t ever make their home page sort of focused, so they’re doing it right, from their customer, from their prospect.  They know that if you’re an agent looking for a job, you realize that you’re secondary, and that you’ll look maybe in the upper right corner of the screen or in the bottom of the footer for the agent link.  Same thing with medical billing, but those secondary audiences will find the page they’re looking for.  So take a look at a few carriers, see how they’re doing this, see how they address primary audiences versus secondary audiences, and apply the same thing to your website.  You don’t want to lose your primary customer because you’re spending too much time drawing attention to your second and maybe your third tertiary site visitor.

*So something to think about.  I think this is an area where you can really increase your website performance, your conversion rate.  If you need to, create multiple sites so that you’re not splitting up your focus too much. *

So something to think about.  That’s what I’ve got today.  I will have more about insurance agent websites tomorrow.  Thank you very much for watching.