Selecting the right domain name for your insurance website
Why is the right domain name so important to your insurance website? With the right domain, your insurance website can help you brand your agency, get found in search, and ensure that customers remember your site’s location.
If possible, you want to a domain name that includes some combination of your agency name, the region you sell in, and the types of products you sell. Ideally, you’ll include a few of the primary keywords that you will be targeting in your marketing. So, instead of going with “AcmeAgency.com”, consider “AcmeHealthInsurance.com” or “AcmeInsuranceOhio.com”.
Unfortunately, domain names are like beach-front property: they aren’t making ‘more’ of them. As more and more agents go online, it’s getting harder and harder to find the right domain name for your agency’s website. If you’re having trouble finding the right domain for your insurance website, here are some tips to help point you in the right direction:
- Be region specific – Try adding your state, city, or region name to your domain name. Abbreviations will work, too. If “LifeInsuranceExperts.com” is taken, try “TexasLifeInsuranceExperts.com”. You’ll be surprised how many good names you’ll find.
- Go for .com if possible – You might be able to find the perfect domain name at “.biz”, but chances are good your customers are still going to type “.com” at the end of your domain. A decent “.com” domain is generally going to be better for you than a fantastic “.info” domain.
- Look for some variation of your name. Most likely, people are searching for you anyway. Including some variation of your name will make it easy for them to find you. For example, “InsuranceFromBobSmith.com” or “SarahJacksonIsMyAgent.com”.
- Modify your domain name with related words. Try adding “agent”, “insurance”, “quotes”, or other related words to the names you’re looking for.
- Avoid hyphens. They’re hard to remember, hard to type, and hard to explain over the phone.
- Don’t force it. Sure, “MyLifeQuotesSherpa911.com” is probably available, but you don’t want your domain name to look like you couldn’t find a good domain name!
- If all else fails, drop us a line! Sometimes all you need is a fresh perspective. We’d be happy to provide it.